Monday 13 August 2012

JOSHUA WINS GOLD - EVANS GIVES AWAY GOLD MEDAL

Add caption

DDIE EVANS did not lose an Olympic Gold Medal he literally gave it away by boxing throughout the full three rounds of competition with no force of action and it became obvious he wanted to be somewhere else, and not in a boxing ring fighting for the highest worldwide amateur boxing award it is possible to win.
Anthony said, he was inspired by his favourite film '300' about Spartan warriors,“The moral of the film is to never give up, to never surrender, and it was just like that in the third round. My legs were screaming but I just kept throwing punches, catching him with straight shots down the middle. I never panicked. Sometimes I wanted to stop, but my arms were just flying. I pulled it out of the bag.
“That medal represents my journey and the support from the team. It’s much more than just a gold medal, it’s a life experience and I’m just proud to have it round my neck.”
It is extremely difficult for a young boxer, Anthony is only 22 and his full boxing career is limited to four years, to contain strength and concentration over the near 14 days of the Olympic Games.
Nevertheless he stuck to his task and won another Gold Medal for Team GB.
Was he fortunate to get the decision?
Yes, I thought he was. His opponent Roberto Cammerelle is a seasoned former Olympic champion and World amateur champion and while he, too became tired, his experience became an advantage.
The fact he is a southpaw may have also caused Anthony to be more reserved.
GB Team Coach and BBC commentator Richie Woodhall was shouting out the correct game-plan for Anthony but the BG super-heavyweight champion appeared to be oblivious to Richie’s calling and allowed Roberto to control; the pace and more often than not the exchanges.
I scored the first round even as neither boxer did very much. The 2nd round I gave to Roberto by at least one point and third to the Italian boxer by one point.
Had Anthony been able to hear the advice of Richie Woodhall I have no doubt Anthony would have won by a clear margin. The Italian is a rather ponderous style boxer and you cannot allow him to dictate the pace.
As Richie said it is essential to take him out of his comfort zone.
The Italian Olympic champion should also have been forced to expend more energy and and make his heavy legs take on extra work they would prefer not to absorb.
The final result was based upon a countback as the five judges decided the final points tally was 18-18.
The result means it will take the life of Anthony Joshua eventually into a new World, a world he could only have read about or seen on film.
For Roberto Cammarelle he will return to his job as a policeman in Milan and one day be a chief of police.
Two diverse  opportunities for two champion boxers even creative Hollywood has never invented.
The Italian Boxing Team lodged an appeal to the Competition Jury but it was a forlorn hope the decision  would be reversed against the boxer representing the host nation of one of the best organised Olympic Games in history.
In IBA (International Amateur Boxing Association) boxing highly controversial decisions are as regular as night following day so, it was just another passing storm in a sea of storms.
The very disappointed Roberto Cammarelle complained the judges might have been swayed by the 10,000 strong mainly British fans cheering on Anthony Joshua.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlbH6vbvgGZ1eAxKBtz8n5sNsntxLjYcI3zX5uxRn3ttYPObT_Credit Crunch and financial woes across the World will not stop the highly tempting offers for Anthony Joshua to become a professional boxers but he admits he is wearing 'L' plates and is still in the learning stages. This is true except in boxing terms the 'L' plates are the equivalent used in  Formula 1 motor racing.
Anthony said, “I want to gain more experience and just keep on pushing. I’ve only had 43 bouts, I’m not in a rush to turn professional.
“It’s never been about money. Money does help. My mum pays bills. I’ve got bills to pay as well, but thanks to UK Lottery sport funding, that’s the most money I’ve seen in a long time. I’m happy with that.
“I will stay in the amateurs as long as possible. Sometimes, it’s hard against fighters with more experience than I’ve got. I want to dominate everyone in the amateurs, become a world champion, become European champion. I’m learning at each tournament. The more tournaments I go to the more I’ll improve as a fighter.
“To leave the Great Britain set-up just for money would be a big mistake. It’s a great experience to be working with such great people, head coach Robert McCracken and his team. I don’t want to lose that just for a bit of money thrown in my face. These memories are priceless.”
Remarkably, when Roberto Cammarelle won the Olympic title in Beijing, Joshua was not among the viewers.
He added“I wasn’t in a gym. I don’t know where I was; I didn’t even watch it.”
How times change. Over the past few days a large proportion of the population of the World know where they were when they watched Anthony Joshua win his Olympic Gold Medal.
==================================
TEAM GB BOXER FREDDIE EVANS GIVES AWAY AN OLYMPIC  GOLD MEDAL
Freddie (in red) did not lose an Olympic Gold Medal he literally gave it away by boxing throughout the full three rounds of competition with no force and it became obvious he wanted to be somewhere else and not in a boxing ring fighting for the highest worldwide amateur boxing award it is possible to win.
It appeared Team GB’s Welsh representative was another sufferer of mental fatigue when he faced the veteran 
He lost by a 17-9 decision in the Excel Arena in East London. This could have been the margin Freddie Evans won the contest.
The Welsh boxer appeared mentally and physically drained, and he appeared to be another boxer who was unable to keep to keep focused throughout the build-up 14 days period of the Olympic Games.
From round one Freddie allowed opponent veteran Serik Sapiyev to force the pace and the Welsh member of Team GB was struggling through the nine minutes of boxing to find essential motivation.
This lack of application and energy allowed Serik to do as he pleased. Yesterday the Freddie Evans boxing Serik Sapiyev was the shadow of the real Freddie Evans and if he should box Serik in the future  it will not be for an Olympic Gold Medal nor will it be a losing fight for the young Welshman.
Nevertheless, Freddie is the most successful Welsh Olympic boxer. He beats the performance of fellow Welsh boxer, Ralph Evans who won bronze medal in 1972 at the Munich Games. ­
Postfight Freddie said, "I've had five hard fights and I have no excuses, he was a bit sharper on the day. Evans told the BBC after the fight.
"I've had a great tournament, I beat the world number one from Ukraine. I'm only 21 and I'm one of the youngest seniors here. I'm over the moon really that I got to the final."

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments welcomed